Saturday, July 5, 2008

fox!

I saw a fox last night! It was really neat. I stepped out to take a picture of the sunset and caught a little flick of motion out of the corner of my eye. I moved a bit so I was facing the right direction, and there, about a hundred metres away, was a little dark-brown fox with a white tail. :D He froze when he saw me move, and we stared at each other for a moment, and then he decided that I wasn't really a threat and moved on across the stream towards the tents on the other side. I took some pictures but will have to post them later, as I left my camera back in my tent. There is also some (probably crappy) video, also still on the camera. It's raining today so I'm not especially motivated to run out and get it. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!! Thanks for the phone call this AM. What is the time difference between us, anyway? Hurry up with the fox pictures. Did Zoe ever tell you about the fox in the ditch at my old house? She said it looked right at her. If you go into town, I'd like to see some pics from there, as well. I have the idea that Greenland is similar to Labrador. And those are partridge berries you'll be loking for. Maybe the crow berries are the same ones. Bye for now.

alia said...

I imagine it is probably pretty similar to Labrador here, although I can't say for sure.

According to Wikipedia, partridgeberries are also called lingonberry, cowberry, foxberry, mountain cranberry, red whortleberry, lowbush cranberry, and redberry (in Labrador). They are related to blueberries and are not the same thing as crowberries (which are an evergreen shrub with edible berries).

Cloudberries (aka bakeapples) are something else again and look more like blackberries except they are kind of a pale orange-pink-yellow colour (neat tidbit: cloudberry fruit and leaves are on the Finnish 2-Euro coin :).