Saturday, August 2, 2008

*gasp* an update

I got to go into the field yesterday. ^_^ It was such a nice change! I'm pretty tired of the computer work, tbh, especially since the weather has been *spectacular*. Perhaps there will be more opportunity later in the season.

Interesting textures abound!

This rock is a neat result of what happens when a rock is metamorphosed, and then goes through retrograde metamorphism - minerals that grew at higher temperatures or pressures are gradually reabsorbed into the rock as its temperature or pressure conditions decrease.

The light-coloured blobs used to be garnets, and I'm unfortunately not sure about the darker stuff, I can't remember what we decided it was.

The second picture is a view from the hill we were working on. The inland ice cap (I almost feel like that should be capitalized... the Inland Ice.) is just barely visible in this picture, which is sadly a bit overexposed. It's in the centre of the picture, if you look straight up from the dark boulder by the lakeshore up towards the horizon line.
Hopefully I will get a closer look sometime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pics Alia.....can't wait to see more!!